Thursday, April 26, 2012

A warm welcome


Hello and welcome to the first edition of DesignULX, the place for artists who like doing things a bit differently and who may also believe that $1,300 for design software is at best unnecessary. This may even be the place where people who think free software is the devil can learn that there's a lot of really good software out there that isn't only free of cost, but also free of viruses, spyware and other malware. Also, this is the place for artist who have made malware itself completely irrelevant as part of their work flow, and a nonissue in the strictest sense of the word, since it is tailored for linux users, though not exclusively, because all artists are welcome regardless of what medium they use to express themselves.

Through this blog I hope to invalidate some of the myths surrounding linux and help prove that fear of linux has no tangible base whatsoever. Anyone can learn to use linux and any artist can find linux to be an ideal environment for all his or her creative endeavors. One of my favorite traits of linux (ubuntu linux in my case) is the speed with which I can work; the OS just stays out of your way. It is simply delightful.

 I would also like to cover solutions to some of the particular issues I've encountered since I switched linux about six months ago, but with ubuntu 12.04 being released as I'm writing this, I'd like to wait and see how things change with the new version. I wish to avoid obsolete information at all cost.

 Well, that's it for this short introduction, I'll be back soon with some “useful” information in the hopes of helping those who are considering linux as a possible foundation for their creative work make a better informed decision. See you!


No comments:

Post a Comment